• Nicaragua has the highest adolescent birth rate in all of Latin America, with 28% of all female Nicaraguan adolescents either pregnant or have given birth.
• Maternal mortality rates are the highest in Latin America. Most of the cases are avoidable, many due to inadequate access to health care services or illegal abortions. Thirty percent of the deaths were in women under 19 years old.
• Only 29% of children complete primary school.
• Approximately 170,000 children and adolescents work.
* Source: Cartin, Mayra. 2005. University of Costa Rica School of Public Health.
MINSA Nicaragua, 2005.